An Unfamiliar Face
After Mass this Sunday, I headed to the hall, where I was looking forward to visiting with my daughter over coffee and a bagel. I was hurrying through the crowd outside the church doors, when my path was suddenly blocked by a startling woman. She was severely obese; dressed in gaudy mismatched clothes; had a dark blotchy beard on her chin; and lipstick smeared around her mouth and one side of her neck. Her eyes were an empty stare. I pretended I had not seen her, and continued on my hurried pace.
This morning, her Unfamiliar Face visited my prayer thoughts. Even though I had seen her several time in the past, her Face was Unfamiliar, as in outside of my family, outside of my kind, outside of my compassion. She was an outcast, a troubled and lonely soul. She was the Face of Jesus, whom I had just received in Eucharist, and yet did not recognize Him in the flesh. I lacked the mercy to recognize the Face of my Lord. In truth, I denied knowing Him -out of fear and smallness of heart.
I was afraid of being seen with her, of people thinking she was associated with me. I was too small to find my Lord in her sad face. I was repulsed and ran from Him.
Forgive me, Lord. I am a pitifully poor and small soul. Holy Spirit, enlarge my heart to embrace the Outcast. Jesus, remake my heart of stone into one like onto You. Father, may I never again reject one of y0ur own.