Wednesday, August 19, 2015

An Unfamiliar Face

An Unfamiliar Face


After Mass this Sunday, I headed to the hall, where I was looking forward to visiting with my daughter over coffee and a bagel.  I was hurrying through the crowd outside the church doors, when my path was suddenly blocked by a startling woman.  She was severely obese; dressed in gaudy mismatched clothes; had a dark blotchy beard on her chin; and lipstick smeared around her mouth and one side of her neck.  Her eyes were an empty stare.  I pretended I had not seen her, and continued on my hurried pace.

This morning, her Unfamiliar face visited my prayer thoughts. It was Unfamiliar as in outside of my family, outside of my kind, outside of my compassion.   She was an outcast, a troubled and lonely soul.  She was the Face of Jesus, whom I had just received in Eucharist, and yet did not recognize.  I lacked the mercy to recognize the Face of my Lord.  In truth, I denied knowing Him -out of fear and smallness of heart.

          Forgive me, Lord.  I am a pitifully poor and small soul.  Holy Spirit, expand my soul to embrace our Father’s Mercy.  Jesus, remake my heart of stone into one as Your Own.